I am not going to say that this soon to start Winter 2015 season of anime looks like a poor season. I will say that the extraordinary number of sequels airing will really limit opportunities to discuss the season because everyone already knows if they are or aren’t watching the various sequels. Therefore, I’ve been thinking about what I could do this season because I’m resolving to post more on The Null Set this year and, eventually, I thought of the idea of creating a weekly anime quiz might be worth a try.
When I tried to find examples of quality anime quizzes to see what types of questions were good questions to ask and to gauge the difficulty of the questions I had a hard time finding a good anime quiz. They either focused too narrowly on a single topic and required an encyclopedic knowledge of that single topic or were put together by somebody that’s only seen 10 anime series or they were ‘What anime character are you?’ type quizzes. As a result, the first couple quizzes might be a little rough as I try to dial these quizzes in so that someone that’s moderately well-versed in recent anime and has spent some time studying anime and it’s component parts will get the majority of the questions right.
So, this is the first of thirteen weekly quizzes covering anime identification, anime history, personnel and organizations behind animation production, anime characters, and a small amount of general knowledge about Japan found in anime. I’ll post the questions on Monday afternoon, as defined by my living in the Eastern time zone of America, and will post the answers on Friday afternoon. People may leave a comment in the initial post of that week with their guesses and I’ll tally correct answers in the answers post and keep a running total for the entire 13 week run. No cheating, though I’m okay with people looking up how to spell names but spelling doesn’t have to be 100% accurate. I don’t want anything too serious so there will be no prizes involved. I will attempt to ask questions that have one real answer but if a second answer is given and is also correct I will mark it correct too and mention it in the answers post.
Okay, onto this week’s quiz:
(1) Name the anime that features these three characters: Roy Mustang, Edward Elric, Ling Yao.
(2) Name the anime that features these three characters: Griffith, Casaca, Guts.
(3) Name the anime that features these three characters: Battler Ushiromiya, Maria Ushiromiya, Beatrice.
Refer to the following picture for questions 4 – 8.
(5) Which of these anime series aired first?
(6) Which of these anime series aired last?
(7) Which two anime series share a musical connection?
(8) Which two anime series share an organizational connection?
Refer to the following picture for questions 9 – 12.
(9) Name the animation studio that animated these three works.
(10) What decade was this animation studio founded?
(11) The people who founded this animation studio were former members of what animation studio?
(12) One of the original co-founders of the studio named in question 9 left to form what animation studio?
(13) Name the seiyuu that voiced these characters:
(14) Name the seiyuu that voiced 4 of the 5 characters shown and give the letter of the fifth one not voiced by this seiyuu.
(15) Magia was used for which anime’s ending theme?
Good luck. Constructive feedback is also much appreciated.