Last year I had a single award given to the most memorable moment of 2007. It went to episode 10 of Manabi Straight when it’s revealed that the school festival will be held. This year, I wanted to go a little further in depth to spotlight my favorite episodes and memorable moments. Since I don’t want to spoil a bunch of shows for those readers that haven’t seen them yet, I’m going to just list these without explaining why. First though, there’s a couple final awards that felt like they belonged in this part.
Best Final Episode
How do you end a slice-of-life show and still give the show a bit of closure that non-structured shows normally don’t have? You do what Natsume Yuujinchou did and bring back several of the characters from the series and reflect upon how Natsume has changed over the course of the series. It simply was perfect.
The ending of Bamboo Blade was able to walk the fine line that shows based on source material that continues past the end of the anime series has. It was able to give an actual ending that tied up the plot threads introduced in the first season. As well as slipping in a few tantalizing hints at possible plot points if there is a second season without these new characters and stories interfering with the feeling of a satisfying ending.
Best Show No One Saw
Runner-up: Wagaya no Oinari-sama
If this award was based solely on the number of people that talked about the show then Wagaya no Oinari-sama would have won because I saw far fewer people mentioning this show. Wagaya was a good show and if the animation had looked a little better or if it had come from a more popular studio then it would been a huge hit. Kaiba did get talked about more often but I could tell that outside of the more adventurous viewers and the SF viewers, almost no one watched it. In the end, I gave Kaiba the award because they were both relatively unwatched but Kaiba was a better show.
- Ending of episode 1 of Ga-rei: Zero
- Tennis match from episode 18 of Clannad
- The play from episode 22 of Clannad
- Tomoya’s marriage proposal from episode 12 of Clannad season 2
- Iku Kasahara’s media interview from episode 12 of Library War
- Air reference from episode 11 of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
- The race from episode 13 of Toradora
- The Soul Ascension ceremony from episode 5 of Wagaya no Oinari-sama
- Sora’s first official job as a mage from episode 12 of Someday’s Dreamers Season 2
- Episode 26 of Bamboo Blade
- Episode 3 of Kaiba
- Episode 7 of Kaiba
- Episode 52 of Hayate the Combat Butler
- Episode 2 of Natsume Yuujinchou
- Episode 7 of Natsume Yuujinchou
- Episode 9 of Ga-Rei: Zero
- Episode 2 of Toradora
- Episode 4 of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Next part of my 2008 anime year in review is the first half of my top 10 anime of 2008 and should be posted within the day.
Read Part 0 – Introduction and Anti-awards here.
Read Part 1 – Character Awards here.
Read Part 2 – Cast and Assorted Awards here.
Read Part 3 – Genre Awards here.
Read Part 4 – Music, Voice, and Animation Awards here.
Read Part 6 – Top 10 Anime of 2008: #10 – #6 here.
Read Part 7 – Top 10 Anime of 2008: #5 – #1 here.